Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lost friends...lost rights

            I have recently lost several friends on Facebook from a post I made about the New York City Mosque and their right to build two blocks away from ‘Ground Zero’ of the Trade Center bombings. I know it is a controversial subject but to me it is a simple subject. We have the First Amendment right in this country to freedom of religion.

            If we take the stance that they are Islamic and they shouldn’t be allowed, then next comes the argument that they are not Christians and we shouldn’t have it, then the argument that they are not Catholic and we should not have them and that is why we came here in the first place.

            Look, the location might not be ideal and we may not agree with them in their beliefs but fundamentally they have the right to build there. I am an atheist (Swear to god) so I could make the argument that I don’t want any of them in my neighborhood or as John Stewart said we could argue that the Catholic Church shouldn’t be allowed to build a church near a playground. But the truth is they have the right.

            There is a reason that freedom of religion is the First Amendment to our Constitution. And it should be . I’m sure I will lose a few more friends for this…but to be honest I would find it hard to be friends with someone with that constricted a view in life. (Nice way of saying narrow minded).

No comments:

Post a Comment