Friday, October 1, 2010

Three little words.

            I’ve decided to sit and think about what is really bothering me about my country and it’s people and politics, and the same words keep coming into my head; Honesty, honor and respect. I feel that those three words can sum up the way I feel. Unfortunately it’s the lack of all of those things that I see.

            The lack of respect by people to each other can be closely related to the lack of the other two. But how can I feel that things can be any different when the people we have as role models in this world choose to ignore these basic ideals. I know we have the obligation to choose proper role models and mentors in our lives but these days honorable, honest people are hard to come by. I am lucky to be surrounded, for the most part, by family and friends that believe deeply in these things.

            But I must leave the house every now and then and find myself thrust into a world of disrespectful, dishonest, dishonorable people that don’t care what they say or do as long as they are getting what it is they want in life. When I was young we were taught to be aggressive in order to get what we wanted, but we on a whole tried to do it with a modicum of respect and definitely with truthfulness and respect, at least I was.

            But again as I watch our countries leaders lie to us and disrespect each other in ways that would make Al Capone proud I know why our latest crop of young Americans have no respect for anything. Why would they everything they see tells them that if you want to get ahead in this world you have to lie cheat and steal to get there. You don’t need to honor your promises because you have the right to change your mind every ten minutes as it suit’s the situation.

            I guess what I’m saying is we need to be honest to ourselves and therefore each other; respect our own convictions and beliefs and by default each other’s; and by doing both we regain our honor. People have come to know their rights in this place but not their responsibilities. It’s time we became responsible again

2 comments:

  1. I agree about your three words. They don't seem to mean I've noticed a trend among children's shows, for instance, where the plot lines are all about breaking rules, treating people disrespectfully and not actually learning consequences for poor choices. The real world is a cruel place, your are correct in being grateful for family and friends--they're the only thing that make life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about just plain old being nice? When did that go out of fashion? Being nice and having a sense of community and a sense of humor...I hope all these things are more alive and more well in the Midwest...they seem to be dead in California.

    ReplyDelete